Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I really DO (heart) level editors!

Finally, an update that's on topic with the title of this blog!

First, for anyone who hasn't tried Terry Cavanagh's excellent game, VVVVVV: check it out!

VVVVVV is a 2-D platformer that uses a gravity switching mechanic instead of jumping. It has an cool retro look and an AWESOME soundtrack. I got the game while ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. However, the game recently piqued my interest once again when v2.0 was released, which included an in-game level editor!

Try this game, it's awesome!

I've been working with it for a few days, and have created my first level. It's available on my website here.

If you have VVVVVV, I encourage you to download the level and try it out. Leave and comments below, or e-mail me (jason.canam@gmail.com).

Install instructions: download the *.vvvvvv file and place into [user\Documents\VVVVVV] (Win Vista) or [user\My Documents\VVVVVV] (WIn XP). You should see other *.vvvvvv files in that directory.

I really appreciate the inclusion of the level editor, and has really helped me to fall in love with this game all over again.

Everyone should try VVVVVV. Check out the Humble Indie Bundle and support indie developers!

1 comment:

  1. Veni, vidi, vici. Except for the last trinket, since I forgot that rescuing everyone would end the level.

    It was a pretty fun ride and the hub area worked pretty well. The challenge that stuck most in my mind is the one where you need to quickly step on some crumbling blocks repeatedly while getting out of the way of a patrolling enemy; took some pretty precise timing to get it right...

    ReplyDelete